Saturday 11 February 2012

Senior vs Junior

SCENARIO:

Senior: What degree do you have? B.Sc or B.Eng? B.Sc for Bachelor of Science or B.Eng for Bachelor of Engineering? What kind of engineering?

Junior: B.Eng (I use my B.Eng paper to rub my ass. I only keep "Ph.D. Newtonian" Engineering.)

Senior:  Let me state clearly to you what kind of people I am and my expectation. I am a very hardworking and result-orientated person. Whatever project or assignment I have given to you, must be delivered by the agreed dateline. If you make a silly mistake, I won't give a face but to scold you loudly right in front of you in the office. Can you work with me?

Junior:  I may disagree with your way but will commit to deliver result within reasonable timeline.

Senior:  ................well, two people with stronghead may be able to work together.

Junior:  (Stronghead = stubborn or strong principle? I hope you are not the first one. I see inevitable debate and conflict between us in very near future)

Senior:  The current project I would like you to work with me has been long overdue. Mainly because suppliers are too dependent on us and not aggressive enough to deliver by the scheduled time with certain degree of compromised result. You have to be "stronghead" to wake them up and push them for results. You have to be well versed in their specification requirement so as to ensure that their work is adhering to the code of practice albeit these are their responsibility.
Junior: ......(and so what, you want me to cover up your shit)

Senior:  You may not like the way I set the timeline or decision but you must commit to deliver even you do not agree to. In certain scenario, you may not be able to understand why I would make a decision which sounds illogical or unreasonable to you. Some information behind such decision may not be shared to certain level of staff. It is similar to when my manager is asking me to do something which I can't understand due to information which is only shared among the higher level of management.

Junior:  ......(and so what, you still want me to cover your shit with "super saiyan" performance)

Senior:  I appreciate worker who is performing and delivering result timely. I reward them based on their performance and capability. In my office, I am not looking forward to forming a national team. I want a Manchester United team in my office, performing and delivering results of high integrity ahead of schedule.


TYPICAL PATHS TO TAKE:

A
Junior:  Can we kick off the meeting on the project now? I can't wait to take this promising work.

B
Junior:  Thank you for the appointment but I have to consider the offer.

C
Junior:  Can we kick off the meeting on the project now? I can't wait to take this promising work. (resign if work is worse)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...