Friday 2 December 2011

Ear Wax Removal via Water Syringing

At last I have regained hearing on my left ear after a second visit for medical treatment. The last two weeks of ear pain and total hearing loss on my left ear was so depressing. The ear wax solution, which I had been applying into my left ear for a week, didn't manage to drain out the cerumen blockage inside my left ear canal.

I was so nervous when I went for the treatment. I thought that doctor might use a ear pick to dig out the cerumen which may cause more pain. When I was kid, my aunt used to clean my ear using a ear pick. Ear picking is a common practice in Asia as Asian people usually have dry ear wax which is easy to remove via this method as opposed to wet ear wax commonly found in Caucasian people.

To my relief and surprise, doctor used a half-foot sized syringe with a straight noozle to apply a jet of warm water into my left ear in order to remove the excessive cerumen inside my ear canal. Apparently the canal was so full with years of accumulated hardened cerumen that the syringing process took about 10 minutes to clear the blockage. I was shocked to see a huge amount of ear wax floating in the waste container.  

End of the day, my left ear can hear more clearly than my right ear now. Guess I should apply the ear wax solution on my right ear and do the water jet too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...